Popular Posts

Friday 12 April 2013

Meeting the Dreamer


They call me the dreamer, he said,
I having asked him who he was
who'd burst upon my idle time above the tide line,
lost among the marram grass and sand dunes,
watching the sea-whipped waves play in the bay.
Strange boy: man's body, girlish face that now
and then would greatly age and then be young again;
and covered head to toe in moths and dragon flies
that when the face changed would fly off
to form a cloud that followed him -- or was it her?
No answer ever came in all the years we met.

Why do they call you that? I asked.
That's not high science, sir, he said.
Because I dream! I am the one
that has dreamed you and put you in
this dream time and dream place. I gave you
what you're pleased to call your life.

I thought about this deeply for a moment as I watched
the moths and dragonflies dance lightly on the waves.
Then: I'm just a figment in your dream?
I asked. He nodded his assent. And yet, he said,
We were great friends before I dreamed you here.

11 comments:

Janine Bollée said...

So enjoyable.Lovely idea. I'd rather not picture the moths on the face :-)
Luckily, in my case I only needed to growl and grouse and they would leave.
A treat to read.

Carl said...

Wow. Great read for a Friday Dave

Brian Miller said...

ha...interesting bit of philosophy...i would fear the person waking up...or developing an issue where they suddenly for get me eh? small solace on the being friends before the dream...smiles.

Ygraine said...

How utterly wonderful!
And my interpretation?
A meeting with Merlyn...but I am biased, of course! Haha :D

You've given me lots to think about this weekend...in fact, you've just made it!!
Many thanks :)

Mary said...

Sometimes I wonder about the difference between reality and dream. The line seems very thin sometime. The ending of this poem was eerie.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Love this poem Dave. We all are dreamers in our own small way.

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

Marvellous riddle of a poem, incantatory picture.

David Cranmer said...

"I gave you
what you're pleased to call your life." Strong lines, Dave.

The Unknowngnome said...

Well done my friend.

Elephant's Child said...

Mystical and magical. Thank you.

Dave King said...

aprille
Thanks aprille. Really appreciate your thoughts.

Carl
Much thanks for saying.

Brian
I think you've an outline there for a new tale!

Ygraine
A meeting with Merlin? Now, there's a thought! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

Mary
Very thin, I agree. Mmm, upon reflection, probably more eerie than I'd intended.

Rachna
Indeed we are. Thanks.

Tommaso
Thanks. Your kind words are appreciated.

David
Thanks for this.

The unknown gnome
Thanks so much.

Elephant's Child
Thank YOU. Much appreciated.