Popular Posts

Friday 14 June 2013

Geranium Pepper Mill Thompson Lake


Geranium Pepper Mill Thompson Lake
had a rhinoceros, thin as a rake,
fed it on whiskey, turnips and clocks,
took it to school in her pencil box.

Was it the whiskey or was it the clocks
saw the rhinoceros knitting white socks?
stuffing them into a kilner jar
with seaweed and semtex to fuel the car?

The car took off with a bit of a start
like a time machine in an elephant's fart.
They stopped at Mars for puddings and rolls,
coconuts, wellies and costume dolls.

At school the rhinoceros sailed through his sums
while Geranium counted on fingers and thumbs.
Out in the playground an ostrich flew by
and offered them both a flip round the sky.

The sky was so big, they didn't get back,
but encountered by luck a yak in a sack.
They stayed with the yak, who remarked to Miss Lake:
My Goodness, my girl, you're thin as a rake.

Let me fatten you up on bats' ears and glue --
I've an app on my phone that will do it for you.

Said Geranium Lake to the short-sighted yak:
It's the rhino' whose thin -- get back in your sack.

Back on the ostrich and home in the night
with the twitchers all tweeting a nocturnal kite,
Geranium Pepper Mill Thompson Lake
settled down in her bed of cottonseed cake.

At mindlovemisery this week we are asked to write a nonsense poem.

14 comments:

Brian Miller said...

haha this is delightfully funny and somewhat irreverent....time maching in and elephant fart...ha...you really should find an artist and have them draw to this...it would make a funny little book...smiles...what a nice break from reality dave...

Leovi said...

Bueno, te ha quedado lleno de fantasía, ironía e imágenes oníricas. Más que sin sentido sería un poema abstracto. Muy divertido e imaginatívo!

Leovi said...

Well, I have been full of fantasy, irony and dream images. Rather than be a poem mindless abstract. Very funny and imaginative!

A Cuban In London said...

What a fun and beautiful poem! I just loved the bounciness of it. The feeling that it's taking you out for a ride on a nice sunny day. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Lovely poem. Really enjoyed reading this delightful verse.

Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

That was lots of fun.

Ygraine said...

Haha...this had me laughing 'til I cried!
It is funny, witty, and incredibly entertaining...exactly what I needed to cheer me up today.
Thank you, Dave:)

Cloudia said...

Delightful whimsy ticking like the finest clock!



Aloha

Elephant's Child said...

This is simply delightful. My inner child applauds you.

kaykuala said...

Hilarious! I thought it was going all over. It was confirmed by your process note eventually! Nicely Dave!

Hank

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Quite the witty poem Dave - gave me quite the laugh.

Anonymous said...

whoa! enJOYed this adventure. I see a wonderful picture book in the making.

Anonymous said...

You have a good sense of humor. ~Mary

Dave King said...

Thanks everyone.
I much enjoyed the fun of writing this. Thanks for joining in.

A very warm welcome to those commenting - or visiting - for the first time. Good to have your company.