Popular Posts

Sunday 18 August 2013

The Kaleidoscope and the Microscope


My body had died
and only my head and two hands were alive.
So what can a head and two hands do
when that is all there is of you?

The head can think and the hands can move,
you could imagine a world more in the groove,
more open to all the needs of man
and sketch it there where your world began.

You could paint all the pictures in The Louvre
in alternative hues, in DayGlo bright
or Virgin white with just a touch of celestial light
and newly constructed, enlightened views.

Trite images from yesterday, perhaps, but in the plan
displaying all the powers and skills of old
Renaissance man. His masterpieces all survived
traumatic lives, endured abuse, are damaged souls,

are halfmen walking in the light,
conquerors of their own, more personal night.
But damaged people just might ghost
the blueprints for the world that lies in limbo now.

This wasn't a dream or a reverie
or a nearer to death experience,
but the bump of a spacecraft back on Earth
and I the only occupant -- Pro Tem disabled by the bump.

As with The Louvre, so with the forest and the high rise town:
look where you will, in church and factory,
in school, on playing field, in airport lounge
and shopping mall, on road and rail, in hospital

and swimming pool, you'll see
the blueprints for a better deal.
These are the ghosts that haunt the now,
the dead men live on tomorrow's page.

24 comments:

Dave King said...

Tomorrow I begin my therapy. I 'm not sure that I will get back to reply to comments -- but I will catch up eventually!

jabblog said...

I wish you strength and good fortune, Dave. Come back when you're ready - we'll still be here.

jabblog said...

. . . and now, having read back through your recent posts (having been absent somewhat myself) I understand your situation and can only concur with everyone who has commented with such love and admiration.

Brian Miller said...

dave, will keep you in my thoughts tomorrow as you face therapy...and i hope that all goes well man...i do hope you keep us up with what is going on...if you have only head and hands i think you would be fine...its the heart that matters you know...smiles...

Carl said...

You will be on my mind tomorrow and the coming days.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Thinking of you Dear Dave - as I will tomorrow and every day that follows.

Wishing you strength my friend.

Kind regards
Anna :o]

Tabor said...

Your head and hands are certainly the most important. More important than those of others. Sending thoughts of energy, strength, and patience.

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

Another powerful work getting to the last two lines with strength and a natural rhythm and lightening then perfectly its title.

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

And my best wishes for your therapy Dave, I feel it can give something also to your poetry.

Mary said...

My thoughts are with you, Dave!! God bless. We will be waiting for your return.

Cloudia said...

So rich that I could discuss my responses with you over tea!

Our best fond intentions go with you tomorrow. You do know that...

Aloha

Elephant's Child said...

With a head and a heart like yours you can achieve miracles.
I will be thinking of you and sending many good wishes through the ether tomorrow. And every day.

kelvin s.m. said...

...fears are all just at the back of our minds... Hakuna matata sir.... you have brighter tomorrows as we all do.... just don't rush to get through not until you've finally enjoyed the happiness of today no matter what.... smiles...

GOD BLESS!!! :)

Kass said...

Enjoyed that poem. Wishing you well.

Ygraine said...

I have just returned from a week in the forest without mains electricity...have been thinking of you.
Really hope your therapy is going well, and you will go from strength to strength.

This poem is truly amazing. It has such power and depth. Brought me out in goose bumps! :)

Unknown said...

I hope all is well, Dave! Let me know if there's anything I can do from afar.

rch said...

Hey Dave, sorry I've been absent from commenting, I just read your posts and my thoughts are with you. btw, great writing as always.

Cait O'Connor said...

This poem shines with spiritual wisdom. Bless you.

Dave King said...

Thank you so much everybody. Very grateful for your words of encourasement and strength. Unfortunately things did not go quite as anticipated and they could n't complete the therapy last Friday, so still have one more session on tuesday. Am still largely walking around like a zombie!!!

Ygraine said...

Very best of luck for tomorrow, Dave. I hope the treatment goes well.
Fingers crossed for you x

Helen said...

Hello! It is Sunday afternoon here in Bend, Oregon ~ USA. You have been heavy on my mind this week, Dave. Sending good energy your way.

David Cranmer said...

Thoughts and prayers to you on the therapy, Dave.

Ella said...

Oh Dave, you are in my thoughts and prayers! Sending you inspired thoughts-continue writing good friend! :D

Anonymous said...

Dave - good luck with all you are going through - you are a wonderful poet - as this poem shows- that disconnect of time and space and color and art - and that connection too - all there. Best wishes to you. k.