Popular Posts

Monday 25 February 2013

When the top supporting actor went missing!



I had a fever once,
dreamed I was ill,
a dromedary came
with drawers in its hump --
one either side --
with medicines for cure
and phials for suicide
and first-aid kits
and tennis balls.

Then with the fever gone
I wrote it up.
A T.V. script. Speech
to the left and visuals right --
I knew no more than that --
and posted it as an idea
to one I knew
would see at once
its possibilities...
to Michael Bentine's It's
a Square World.
Just
his zany sort of thing!

It didn't make my name. Alas,
too late, I see the reason why.
My main protagonist escaped
my notice in the dream.
My Venus with her drawers! Now,
had I put her in, she with the dromedary, would
have zapped the world, no doubt!

I had not expected to be posting today, as some of you will have read in yesterday's post, but my plans having been changed for me, I offer this quickie as a response to the Mag's fantastic visual prompt here -- for which much thanks.

22 comments:

Ygraine said...

Glad you did post today, Dave.
Wouldn't have wanted to miss the image of Venus and the dromedary! The outcome possibilities are endless there...!! Hehe :D

Mary said...

Ha, glad to see you. Not familiar with Michael Bentine at all, but I will take your word for it. Indeed it might have zapped his square world.

Berowne said...

Happy you did post today. Always look forward to what you have to say...

jabblog said...

Ah, Michael Bentine - I loved his work. I'm sure he would have appreciated your ideas - my guess is that someone intercepted them.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Loved Michael Bentine - love your take on the prompt.

Anna :o]

Silent Otto said...

Gday Dave, Dromedarys about up there at the moment eh ?, hmmm. Wonder why

Silent Otto said...

Must have been the drought you lot have just been through .

Brian Miller said...

ha...nice response sir...will have to google michael bentine....hope all is well and the forces beyond your control clear up....

kaykuala said...

Glad you made the visit you didn't intend. For which we got the benefit.
Wonderful write, Dave!

Hank

izzy said...

Good one ! I love what the dromedary brought! thanks-

Tabor said...

Dromedaries and Venus with drawers...I could have worked all day and not had such an image come to my mind.

anthonynorth said...

And a most worthy additional post.

Cait O'Connor said...

I have posted a poem inspired by one of yours - (Shadows).

Helen said...

Taking all of the awards .. zapping the world ~~ no doubt!

Cloudia said...

Quick? As in just tossed off? Your image is now among the stuff of my inner eye. Dromedary Drawers is quite a unique pet name. And the magic spell inherent in lists, shines in your manifest......& tennis balls. Quite w worthy cousin to Chinese cultures ten thousand things....
Aloha joyful, appreciated companion!

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

Such a visionary work.

Other Mary said...

Dromedaries and tennis balls...very interesting Dave. A fantastic response to the fantastic prompt!

Other Mary said...

Dromedaries and tennis balls...very interesting Dave. A fantastic response to the fantastic prompt!

Elephant's Child said...

My mind is still wrestling with the fever dreams. I am always fascinated by the way (so perfectly captured here) that they are firmly based on reality, and then twist, and twist again. Wonderful use of the prompt. Thank you.
I hope your changed plans were not bad news.

lucychili said...

hope things are all ok
great surreal imagery

Dave King said...

Thanks everyone, as usual I have been impressed and gratified by your replies. To me it feels as though my dromedary with drawers has been waiting all this time for his Venus to come along and complete the image! What a prompt - and what a set of replies. Thanks again.
P.S. No, Elephant's Child, my change of plan was not the result of bad news. Inconvenient, but not bad. Thanks for asking.

Tess Kincaid said...

Wild and crazy...very Daliesque...loved it Dave...