Popular Posts

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Land Art - as a cottage industry

It has recently occurred to me that I haven't posted one of my Land Art photos since June 2009 (see it here!), so I'm guessing that some of my good friends out there will be having pretty serious withdrawal symptoms by this time. Not to worry, here is the latest:


As you will observe, this time I am treating you to a night shot - this is purely and simply in the interests of variety only, and has no special significance.

You might like to compare the two and note the development of my art - or maybe not. As my title indicates, though, it has occurred to me that this could become quite a lucrative cottage industry. I'm thinking along the lines of those jig-saw mats you can buy which allow you to roll up your unfinished puzzle to store it - or to take it on holiday with you, should you feel so inclined. How about that? A bit of cottage land art, roll it up in an industrial version of the mat and flog it at a car boot sale? What think you friends?

One motive behind all this is a developing passion for the work of a young artist, Ingrid Calame, rapidly coming into prominence with an art based on tracing the minutiae of imperfections, cracks, bobbles, chips, inscriptions, marks of all sorts on the ground. All sorts of ground. It struck me that it's a land art of sorts, even if not advertised as such. Here is an image of one of her works.

20 comments:

CiCi said...

You are a trend setter my friend.
This is truly fun art.
I don't know about the travel pack art idea though. I am just too old fashioned for that I guess.

Carl said...

I like your concept... If you move or go on vacation take it with you.

CS

Mary said...

I will second wha TechnoBabe has said. Trend setter indeed!

Shadow said...

you've got the makings of a great idea there! give it a shot i say!!!

jabblog said...

Your land art has refined since 2009, judging by your photo from that time:-)
Rather than taking it with me I would prefer to seek fresh forms;-)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Great concept, Dave.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like the idea of portable art, it would be a great resource for organisations having stalls at lots of summer festivals...

A Heron's View said...

A novel idea !

ArtistUnplugged said...

Awesome! Your land art is superb in the land of art!

LR Photography said...

I must agree, great concept Dave!

flaubert said...

Very nice, Dave.

Pamela

Scarlet said...

interesting art piece.. thanks for sharing this ~

Mark said...

Rad, I love land art. I think it's the original form of human expression from petroglyphs to modern canvas.

kaykuala said...

Art is a creation of beauty out of ordinary things. You've done well, Dave, to zero in on an ordinary paved walkway. You converted it to be an object of great artistry. Excellent thinking!

Titus said...

I'm terrible, Dave. I always work hard to see real pictures in the abstraction, hence missing the integrity of the whole.

Can you see the dumpling lady with the bun?

Windsmoke. said...

Bonza idea :-).

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice blog work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

Dave King said...

TechnoBabe
Ah, thanks for that, but if you're right I may have to watch what trends I set!

Carl
That's what I like about blogging: no matter what you come up withy there are always three or four others way ahead of you! Great idea!

Mary
Thanks Mary - but now I'm really beginning to worry!

Shadow
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Trouble is, I get weird looks from the neighbours...

jabblog
That's got to be the answer! I'll roll up the idea, but leave the path behind! Ta for that.

Rachna
Gl;ad you liked it. Thanks.

Crafty Green Poet
I like your thinking. My thoughts nopw are running to marketing...

A Heron's View
Hi, welcome to my blog. Thanks for the comment.

ArtistUnplugged
Hi, good to have you visiting and to have your comment.

Adrian
Thanks Adrian. Much appreciated.

Pamela
Much thanks for the response.

Heaven
And likewise, all comments are valued.

Mark
I couldn't agree more, and these days it offers such a variety of expression.

kaykuala
Thanks. Your endorsement is greatly valued, but as I mentioned above... you should see the expressions on my neighbours' faces!

Titus
Hey, know what? I missed her! I think she's pregnant! Maybe that's why the neighbours were looking askance!

Windsmoke
Ta for that!

Inspector Clouseau
Hi, haven't used that Next Blog button in yonks, but I'm glad you did. Really good to have you visiting and many thanks for noting your presence.

Shadow said...

heee heee heeee. just smile at them, they'll be even more mystified, wondering exactly what it is you are up to...

The Unknowngnome said...

Ingenious and you can put your wonderful poems with it.