Popular Posts

Sunday 11 September 2011

So Sorry America!*

sometimes events are just too big to comprehend like mushroom clouds they shadow all the usual thing is distance numbs but in this case space melts away five thousand miles is touchable a world event is personal a nation lives next door to us we've given it our own zip code the pain referred is palpable from this still eye they travel out those shock waves still into the void our world in part has now become the feeling is of family the guilt is ours who now must try to reconcile the world we've made with prints of what is possible


*Occasioned by the thought that each of us, and others in our name, have "done those things that we ought not to have done and have left undone the those that we ought to have done".

13 comments:

Isabel Doyle said...

A fine tribute and clever construction. We are all responsible as well as by-standers. Nice to be reading you again.

Windsmoke. said...

Bonza tribute that flowed along nicely of that fateful day from way back when :-).

Cloudia said...

You have touched my heart with this amazing 'concrete poem.'

Thank YOU, Dave!




Aloha from Waikiki;


Comfort Spiral


> < } } ( ° >



><}}(°>

Jenny Woolf said...

Interesting construction, and a thought provoking tribute.

jabblog said...

This huge world shrinks when tragedy strikes - we are all neighbours.

SG said...

Beautifully expressed, Dave.

Louise said...

Second great poem on this theme I have read today.

Mary said...

Oh lord, Dave! This is a fantastic poem. It gives me chills. Yes, the world is small...and we can reach out and hold hands over that ocean, can't we? Family indeed. One of the best 9/11 poems I've read thus far. (I have 2 in my blog, but yours humbles me.)

Carl said...

Thank You from across the ocean. Today I learned that distance is much less than I thought possible.

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

The imapact of "what we ought to have done" gives a strong final force to the post.

Dave King said...

Isabel
Really good to have you visiting. Thank you for the kind words.

Windsmoke
Glad you liked it. Thanks.

Cloudia
That is so generous of you. Thank you greatly.

Jenny
Thanks Jenny. Much appreciated.

jabblog
Yes, Amen to that. Thanks.

SG
Welcome to the blog and many thanks for the comment.

120 Socks
Wonderful commendation. Thank you so much.

Mary
Your response humbles me. I can't begin to adequately thank you for it - but I do.

Carl
Thanks Carl. It almost seems that there are two sorts of distance - miles and emotional.

Tommaso
You have put your finger on what I was trying to say.

JeannetteLS said...

Finally. A tribute with which I resonate. AND it's a fascinating dual visual construction you've made from what would STILL have been a fine poem. I don't often feel visual"tricks" work. This one did. Perfectly.

From across the ocean, thank you. From across the ocean and inside my heart.

ShonEjai said...

A beautiful tribute!