Popular Posts

Monday 20 June 2011

Venus Fly Trap

Someone
squared the moon

diffusing
light intrinsic

most lunar
in its intimacy

in the way it
pulls the mind

unloads its light
and darkness

at your feet
and then

as sunlight does
falls warm

in knife blade rays
on forest floors

translucence
stirs the surface

so does the
surface stir

and draw you in
as clearings do

contains you
prisoner

of something basic
elemental

light-walled
tree-freighted

deep as ocean
part now

of its emerging
eco-system

change one square
centimetre

and you lose
all sense of all

that Rothko
gave the paint -

its strange
religious power.

9 comments:

Louise said...

as sunlight does
falls warm
in knife blade rays
on forest floors

Fav lines, absolutely beautiful - great poem.

Hannah Stephenson said...

I love Rothko---you are right that there is strange, religious power in his work (his paint).

Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California

I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit TOGB and become a follower, if you want too.

Take care and have a nice day :-)

~Ron

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have always thought the moon much more exciting and beautiful than the sun Dave - your poem gets this across.

Titus said...

Huge Rothko fan Dave - wonderful!

Mary said...

Dave, I am going to have to investigate Rothko to see what I have missed!

Windsmoke. said...

"In knife blade rays" i like that one. Never thought of the suns rays as a knife blade :-).

Jeanne Estridge said...

Like the others, I was especially caught by the knife blade rays. They gave me an image of prison bars, so when you went on to posit a prisoner, I had a cell all ready for him.

Dave King said...

Nearly there - thanks again to you all
To Old Geezer a warm welcome to the blog and many thanks for commenting. It is much appreciated.

I am intrigued that so many of you picked on the knife blade image. It was (I think!) the last t0 occur to me. But that's Rothko all over, it takes a while because he's digging deep.A word of warning though, to Mary and (I hope) others: he doesn't work to the full extent in reproduction; you have to stand in front of an original.