Popular Posts

Sunday 28 August 2011

I learn to Fly

How did I slip my reins?
I'd overheard their talk
of trying Allders first.
(To me the word meant 'trees',
we had one by the shed.)
Is that why I took off,
to look for them? Or was
the vastness of the store
a clear sign saying 'run'?

And then shapes closing in...
tall shapes that loomed above
like trees in a thick wood.
But these trees moved: scrawny
branches waved and gestured,
trunks trotted right up close
or swayed on dinky ankles
as branches clutched at me,
leaves whispering my name.

I ducked and weaved, I turned
and twisted; soon became
a shadow flitting through
the shadowed undergrowth,
ghosting out of nowhere
into my own created space.
I hung wings on the trees,
so now they swooped and dived,
but just as quickly, I
became an aeroplane
and out-manoeuvred them.

Not many people knew:
the war's first dog-fight, that.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Very imaginative poem, Dave. You find such interesting subjects to reflect on. I didn't have any idea where the poem was 'flying' to, until the last stanza.

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

Great energy in a visionary work.
I really enjoyed it.
And many memories came to me, the most vivid a song by the Pink Floyd: "Learning to Fly" from the album "A momentary lapse of reason".

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like the movement in this poem...

Windsmoke. said...

Had me guessing all the way to the last line :-).

Dave King said...

Mary
Kind words as always. Thank you so much.

Tommaso
Much thanks for the comment.
Yes, I know the song. Honoured to be mentioned in the breath!

Crafty Green Poet
As always, good to know your thoughts.

Windsmoke
Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

Could've been a childhood dream...