Popular Posts

Saturday 21 May 2011

Factory Leaves

I know I've posted this before, but it is nowhere to be found on my blog. It must have vanished in the great meltdown, in which case few will have seen it. If you are one who did read it, my apologies for the repeat.

Bedraggled on the ground,
I stooped to raise it up,
its pointed end towards the sky,
a Gothic arch of tracery,
a filigree of life. Those tiny ribs
were more than that: fine pipeworks
and retorts, condensers and the like.

No, not a filigree, a factory.
End product: life.
It's what we've done
that did not show, that lies
invisible: we've taken
Gaia's factories
and one by one
we've made them our laboratories.

9 comments:

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi David....nice to meet you. Though I don't or just cannot write poetry, I love reading it. Enjoyed your poetry. Its really wonderful.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi David....nice to meet you. Though I don't or just cannot write poetry, I love reading it. Enjoyed your poetry. Its really wonderful.

Carl said...

I am a full week behind on your blog dave! I will need to block off an hour tomorrow to get caught up!

Carl

flaubert said...

This is quite good, Dave. I love the last stanza.

Pamela

Marja said...

An amazing poem. Love it

Windsmoke. said...

Very enjoyable once again as it flowed along nicely :-).

pilgrimchick said...

Awesome--so sorry it was lost in the mess!

Dave King said...

Rachna
Hi, Good to meet you, too. Welcome to my blog and thanks for commenting. And a special thanks for the kind words.

Carl
I, too am struggling to catch up with my visits and comments, so don't feel too badly about it. Good to have you back.

Pamela
Thanks for those most welcome words.

Marja
Good to have you visiting and a special thank you for leaving such a generous comment.

Windsmoke
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

pilgrimchick
Yes, and I've just realised that another one was - two on consecutive days - but I can't work out which!!! If anyone knows...

Carl said...

A fine poem. Glad you re-posted as I do not remember it, but enjoyed it much.

C